RacquetWarrior.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an affiliate, this website earns from qualifying purchases.
YONEX Co.Ltd is a Japanese manufacturer of sporting equipment for badminton, golf, and tennis products. They manufacture racquets, clubs, shoes, shuttlecocks, tennis balls and other equipment.
YONEX has become a dominant corporate player in badminton.
YONEX sponsors the All England Open Badminton championships and is a partner of the Badminton World Federation which organizes the world championships.
80% of competitive players use YONEX racquets. They are a preferred choice among professionals.
YONEX nanoscience achieves precise control over racquet functions at the molecular level, creating ultra-lightweight racquets that are thinner, stronger and more stable than ordinary racquets for maximum power and speed from swing energy.
YONEX Nanoray 900 VS Astrox 88d: A closer look
Two popular racquets made by YONEX are the YONEX Nanoray 900 and the Astrox 88d.
We will explore the attributes of both and in what situations the racquets can be beneficial.
By looking at the YONEX Nanoray 900 VS Astrox 88d, we will also find the differences and the similarities of both racquets.
Yonex Nanoray 900 Badminton Racket
Let’s start with the Nanoray 900. You can view the Yonex Nanoray 900 Badminton Racket at Amazon to learn more about how this racquet might work for your game.
Players looking for a lightweight comfortable racquet with amazing power will want to check out the YONEX Nanoray 900.
The YONEX 900 is a head light racquet yet it is very powerful.
The YONEX 900 produces a stronger shot response on shuttles from the baseline where players want more power.
The racquet allows for a steeper angle to your smash, so it will land at your opponent’s feet.
Greater repulsion and speed along with the best smashes will increases your wins.
These qualities are explained in more detail below.
First we take a look at the specifics of the racquet:
- Level: advanced
- Flex: stiff
- Frame Composition: H.T. Graphite, H.M. Graphite, Nanometric, Super H.G.M
- Shaft Composition: H.M. graphite, x-fullerene, Ultra PEF
- Weight: 3U (85-89.9 grams)
- Grip Size: G4
- Balance: Head Light
- Recommended string tension: 19-24 pounds
The Nanoray 900 badminton racquet has advanced frame design packed with technology that brings a completely new angle to your most devastating shots.
As a result of the lightweight frame and the new angle, smashes come more direct and more powerful than before.
New frame angle for extra control and powerful smashes makes the racquet ideal.
- X-Fullerene — X-fullerene increases repulsion power by 5% and stability by 15%. This along with the solid-feel core that absorbs vibrations brings about better control.
- Shaft — The slimmest shaft of any YONEX racquet, the racquet cuts easily through the air without sacrificing all the power.
- Nanometric technology — It reduces the amount of carbon used in the shaft that improves the bonding strength between the fibers. This gives your racquet superior speed and power paired with great control.
This material is lightweight yet allows your shaft to absorb energy without problems.
What players are saying about the Nanoray 900
- Clears: very satisfying repulsion. Clears are easy with the shuttle bouncing off the racquet string bed very quickly with a nice, solid hitting feel. The Nanoray 900 has a very controlled swing as opposed to an uncontrollable movement.
- Drops: Drops are quick and sharp. A flick of the wrist will send the shuttle on a quick trajectory towards the opposite court. The 3U weight helps push the shuttle down. Also, the lack of weight in the head makes the Nanoray 900 great for back court deception shots. Both slice drops and cross-court drops can be carried out with minimal difficulty.
- Smash: The Nanoray 900 is designed for quick players. Specifically, players that have the ability to get behind each shot and place the racquet above the shuttle. Generating a steep smash is no problem for a quick player with this racquet.
The Nano 900 delivers on full smashes, half smashes, and stick smashes.
The player’s skill is very important when talking net play. However, the Nanoray 900 is very well liked at the net.
There is just enough weight in the head to feel out each shot, but the racquet is still fast enough to react to quick drives or taps.
The racquet is light and fast enough to create a good defense. Maneuverability is great and the repulsion on the string bed is excellent.
The racquet is so quick to return every shot that opponents have to work for every attack.
Summary of Nanoray 900
In order to use the full potential of the racquet, more advanced players will have the technique to do so. The incredible repulsion is one of the reasons for this.
Even an advanced player may lose some control during a rally with the Nanoray 900 because of the power of the racquet.
The racquet performs well in doubles play. In doubles the racquets attributes are as follows:
- Stick smashes
- Deceptive drops
- Quick defense
- Fast paced exchanges
Nanoray 900 is also a great singles racquet. The reasons are listed below:
- The Nanoray 900 allows a singles player to set the pace of the rally
- Speed up the rally with a solid drop or smash
- Slow down the rally with a quality lift, clear or block
Check out this video of the Nanoray 900 explained.
Yonex Astrox 88 D/S 2018 New Badminton Racket (88S Emerald Green, Unstrung)
According to the manufacturer: “YONEX Astrox 88d is aimed at allowing the back court player to dominate the opposition.
In high performance racquets it is common to combine nanomaterials with resin that connects graphite fibers, but in the Astro 88d nanomaterials are directly adhered to the graphite fibers and resin is greatly increased.
This major improvement produces a shaft that flexes and stores energy, delivering explosive force on impact with the shuttle.”
Features and Details from the Manufacturer
- Flexible frame: The whole frame is made flexible so that the racquet can hold the shuttlecock for accurate control, while having more flex in the upper part of the frame transmitting maximum power to the shuttlecock. Also, the overall length is 10mm longer than previous models. This enhances both accuracy and power to provide powerful attacks.
- Shape: The shape allows the shaft to flex. More flex and faster graphite material stabilizes the racquet face by preventing shaft twisting-increasing control.
- Counterbalance theory: Weight is distributed through the grip-end, frame top and the joint for maximum control. The transition to the next shot can be performed smoothly with a rapid succession.
- Nanometric: Nanometric improves the bonding strength between the carbon fibers enabling them to take racquet shaft construction to the next level. It reduces the amount of carbon in the shaft to make it 60% thinner than a conventional racquet while retaining stiffness.
- Weight: 4U Grip: G5
You can view this racquet at Amazon to learn more about how it might work for your game.
YONEX has created a revolutionary lightweight racquet with lightening head speed and control in the Astrox 88d.
The Nanoray 900 is also a lightweight yet powerful racquet.
The major difference between the two is the balance. The Nanoray 900 is head light while the Astrox 88d is head heavy with a counterbalance technology.
Both are recommended for advanced players or intermediate players close to advanced status.
Featured image credit: DepositPhotos.com