RacquetWarrior.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an affiliate, this website earns from qualifying purchases.
It’s always important to have the right equipment when you play a sport. That includes your shoes, especially if you have wide feet.
Having shoes that do not fit properly when you have wide feet can affect your game and hurt your feet.
Choosing the best shoes for playing racquetball also includes finding something that enhances your physical abilities and your playing style.
Here are a few tips and reviews to help you find the best racquetball shoes for wide feet.
Considerations for playing racquetball with wide feet
When you think about it, having an anatomical variation in your foot can sometimes give you an advantage over other people, especially in sports.
If you have a longer big toe than a second toe, this variability will actually help be a better sprinter, which can help you move around the racquetball court quickly.
It provides you with more leverage when you push off.
For those with wider feet, there are a few important considerations when you are playing racquetball.
Above all else, you want to make sure that you are wearing shoes that fit properly.
If you wear shoes that don’t fit your wide foot, it will affect your performance.
Having wide feet won’t affect your racquetball game unless you are wearing shoes not designed for wider feet.
Common complaints of people with wide feet include hammer toe, crossover toe, calluses, and bunions, which are not caused by wide feet themselves, but the improper footwear that is being used.
What to look for in a good racquetball shoe for wide feet
- Removable insoles and linings — When you have a shoe that is flexible enough to let you take out parts, you have an easier time making them comfortable to wear. You want to look for athletic shoes that are not stiff, have wide openings, and cushioning that is comfortable, but won’t cause the shoes to become too tight.
- Closure Systems — When shoes have a Velcro strap or laces, it allows you the ability to adjust the width and how your shoe fits your wide feet.
- Wide Foot Features — Wider soles and soft uppers are great features for those with a wide foot. Having a stable base and supportive insoles help to absorb stress and shock as you walk. It’s important to find athletics shoes that are not only comfortable and supportive, but also help your whole body with balance and posture.
- Shoe Size — You may think you know what size shoes you are, but it can’t hurt to check off a few other criteria to make sure you have the right size shoes for your wide feet. Anyone that is playing sports should have your feet measured by a podiatrist to ensure that you are wearing the right size.
- Type of Athletic Shoe — It’s also important to make sure you are using the appropriate type of shoe for the sport you are playing. You can easily get injured by playing a sport with the wrong type of shoe.
- Design – Above all else, you want a racquetball shoe that reflects your own particular tastes. However, there are a few things you will need to remember about the design of your racquetball shoes. You do not need deep treads on a racquetball shoe since you want to make as much contact as possible with the floor to optimize your mobility. When the soles of your racquetball shoes come with deep lugs, all that extra space between them isn’t contacting with the floor. It’s also important to have a lot of structure in the upper that can hold your foot firmly in place while providing lateral support.
- Inserts – Aggressive players often want some form of shock-absorbing insert or comfort liner so that the shoes can absorb as much energy as possible and protect your muscle and bones from the shock of your movements around the court. However, keep in mind that those with wider feet may have a hard time wearing racquetball shoes with inserts since they take up valuable space from your foot. Keep the inserts at a minimum so that your wide feet stay comfortable and healthy.
- Air Mesh – Everyone gets sweaty and hot in their racquetball shoes. Make sure to look for racquetball shoes with Air Mesh uppers where a series of small holes in the top of the upper that allow heat to escape out of the shoe. If you don’t have this feature in your shoes, your feet will become seriously damp and stinky quickly.
- Gum Rubber – Gum rubber soles are the best choice of sole for racquetball shoes. Providing a good amount of grip, gum rubber is also used on volleyball shoes and other types of indoor sports except for basketball. Racquetball shoes are all about grip and support, plus shoes with gum rubber soles are non-marking and won’t leave large black streaks on the court.
Best Racquetball Shoes for Wide Feet
ASICS Men’s Gel-Rocket 9 Volleyball Shoes
Offering great traction, the ASICS Gel-Rocket 9 Shoes are pretty lightweight in comparison to other racquetball shoes on the market.
With great mobility features, these shoes are still durable even without the added weight.
It also features a traditional lacing closure to give you the best fit, which is great for those with wide feet.
Using NC Gum Rubber, the traction on the Gel-Rocket 9s gives most players a good amount of grip.
Using a combination of a suction cup design along with a herringbone tread on the lateral outer sole as well as a pivot on the medial outer sole, these shoes provide better traction than previous models.
They also feature a foam-padded tongue and collar along with a breathable mesh lining and a cushioned footbed.
Made with a molded-EVA midsole, the Gel-Rocket 9s gives you improved shock absorption and cushioning.
With its fore and rearfoot GEL® Cushioning System that provides incredible support and movement through the gait cycles and offering shock-absorbing support at toe-off.
Using the Trusstic System® Technology, the design of the Gel-Rocket 9s reduces weight without having to compromise on the shoe’s structural integrity.
The outsole also contains more natural rubber than a traditional sole.
With the lightweight mesh upper and the synthetic overlay, you get structured support along with more comfort.
View at Amazon to learn more about how this shoe might work for your game.
- Lightweight shoes that fit wide feet well
- They are stable and offer great traction style
- These affordable shoes give you good breathability
- You may need greater ankle support
ASICS Men’s Gel-Resolution 7 Tennis Shoe
Providing excellent mobility, the ASICS Gel-Resolution 7s work well as both racquetball and volleyball shoes.
With great traction, the NC gum rubber offers a good grip while the cushioning throughout the shoes make them super comfortable if you have wide feet.
Featuring a well-rounded traction style, the Gel-Resolution 7s can handle both sagittal and medial movements as well as a toe pivot for those rotational movements.
They also offer a great response for hard play and are equipped with a Forefoot gel that gives you some pretty excellent cushioning in comparison to other racquetball shoes.
Offering enhanced durability in the toe, these racquetball shoes reduce the weight of the sole area thanks to Trusstic System Technology that also allows you to retain the shoe’s structural integrity.
You get a good amount of breathability from the synthetic and mesh upper while the proprietary upper gives you a form-fitting feel that is comfortable as well as supportive.
And, the Ahar Plus Outsole, these shoes are 50 percent more durable than regular ASICS High Abrasion Rubber.
View at Amazon to learn more about how this product might work for you.
- These affordable shoes provide smooth landings
- They are lightweight and stable
- You get solid traction and incredible breathability
- You may need greater ankle support
- The shoes run a bit small and may be kind of stiff
adidas Men’s Barricade Club Tennis Shoe
While these are tennis shoes, they still make great racquetball shoes since both the two sports have a lot in common.
The Adidas Performance Men’s Barricade Club Tennis Shoes are great all-around shoes for wide feet that are perfect for casual or competitive play.
With solid cushioning, you get added bounce thanks to the forefront protection of the Adidas’ ADIPRENE+ cushion that also absorbs shock when you land on your feet.
Providing great control and mobility, the Adidas Performance Men’s Barricade Club Tennis Shoes offers a TORSION midfoot shank that is stiff enough for you to brace against, but also flexible enough to have enough give as you move.
There is also an ADIWEAR 6 rubber outer sole that gives you a good amount of traction, but will not allow you to roll your ankles or stop you short.
View at Amazon for more information on how this product might work for your game.
- You get a good balance of durability and traction
- These shoes provide good cushioning and bounce
- They are designed to provide mobility and support for wide feet
- May not be as lightweight
- May need greater ankle support
Featured image credit: Shutterstock.com Image ID: 1286225941